Muscular aches and pains are an all too common side effect of modern living and can affect all areas of the body. Bad posture, sitting for long periods, staring at your mobile device, sleeping awkwardly, inactivity or training incorrectly are just some of the common causes of muscular pain. We have moved away from the hunter-gatherer style of living like we used to- in which functionality was at its optimal, and whole body movements were utilized every single day to a very sedentary, linear lifestyle which impacts not only our muscular but our physiological processing in the body! Did you know that sitting for long periods of time, can dramatically contribute things such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pain and chronic pain, weight gain and obesity, metabolic disruptions, and even brain power & effectiveness!?
It’s time to get moving!
Top Tips to combat muscular aches & pain
- Try a pattern break at work every 20-30 minutes for as little as 30 seconds. Get up grab a drink of water, go to the bathroom, perform a couple of quick stretches, do a lap around the office… anything to change your patterning! This helps re-activate functions in the body, wake it up, begin pumping blood around your body more effectively and increase your focus (win-win!)
- Set a recurring reminder on your phone to help with this!
- Bring your spikey ball to work and do some quick trigger point releases during the day against the wall. Otherwise- do a good session when you get home!
- Do your favourite stretches- can be simple neck stretches side to side, pec stretching in the doorway, figure 4 glute stretches (can even do this seated at your desk!), calf stretch on the stairs
- Magnesium or epsom salt baths
- Fit in your favourite exercise most days!
- Try a sit-to-stand desk
- Think about changing your positions during the day- sitting, standing, take a phone call walking around, calf raises while at the desk… get creative!
So, how can we help with Myotherapy at Myolab?
At Myolab we’re more than just your run-of-the-mill myotherapist. Because we believe in understanding the bigger picture with regards to your pain, we can develop a tailored solution that will not only address your pain but serve as a roadmap for years to come.
Whether you are in need of a quick pit stop to relieve your initial symptoms, maintenance to keep on top of your ongoing pain or a full overhaul, we are here to help! We understand that everyone has different needs, so you tell us what you want out of this experience.
We will work with you to uncover the underlying causes of your pain and provide solutions to restore functionality and mobility throughout your body, decrease pain and discomfort and get you moving! We understand and recognise that no two people are the same and focus our treatments to meet your specific needs.
We begin with an initial consultation to discuss all aspects of your health and wellbeing to establish a solid foundation to work form. An assessment of the problem and surrounding areas will assist in uncovering important information to move forward with and develop your treatment plan. Hands on table work will form an important part of this plan and then, if necessary, we will also look at movement patterns and functionality, restoring your body in the gym if part of your tailored solution.
Forward this to anyone who you think these tips could help combat their muscular aches and pains, and supercharge their productivity!
We can see you at Myolab South Melbourne, or Myolab Brunswick!